Legion Blacksmithing Leveling Guide 1 - 800
Updated for Legion patch 7.0.3
Blacksmithing is the best combined with Mining and I highly recommend to level Mining and Blacksmithing together because you will need a lot of gold if you want to buy everything from Auction House. Check out my Mining leveling guide if you want to level Mining.
If you are low on gold, I recommend you to try this Gold Making Guide, it can help you to make loads of gold.
If you are still leveling your character or you just started a new alt, I recommend you to use a leveling guide. You can level your character to level 110 in 8 days with this guide.
Table of contents:
- Two way to level Blacksmithing
- Leveling 1-550 with Draenor recipes (cheaper option)
- Leveling 1-800 with Legion recipes
Two way to level Blacksmithing
If your character is below level 90, visit my Blacksmithing Leveling Guide for players below level 90. This guide is for level 90-110 players.
There are currently two ways to level Blacksmithing up to 550.
- One is with Draenor materials because they are really cheap. (this option will probably be removed from the guide after everyone runs out of Draenor materials)
- The other options is to use the new Legion recipes, but it will cost you a lot more especially at the start of the expansion. However, using the new Legion recipes, you get items that are useful and can be sold at the Auction House. You can also break down the armors at level 110 to get [Obliterum Ash], which you can turn into [Obliterum].
So, which one should you choose?
Check the prices on your realm for these:
Choose the one that's cheaper. At the start of the expansion it will probably be cheaper to make draenor recipes for a while. But, if you farm the materials, then I would recommend to choose the Legion recipes because you can get [Blood of Sargeras] from mining Legion ores.
Leveling 1-550 with Draenor recipes (cheaper option)
First, visit your Blacksmithing trainer at Dalaran, one of main cities of old Azeroth, or at Ashran near the NPCs I will mention below. Just walk up to a guard in a city, you can ask them where the Blacksmithing trainer is located.
You have to get a [Draenor Blacksmithing] scroll to upgrade your maximum Blacksmithing skill to 700. This scroll will also teach you a few basic recipes which you will use to level Blacksmithing.
There are three ways to obtain this scroll:
- You can buy it from the Blacksmithing trainers at Ashran. Alliance players can find Royce Bigbeard at Stormshield, and Horde players can find Nonn Threeratchet at Warspear.
- If you build The Forge at your garrion, you can buy the scroll from one of the NPC at the building.
- If you are still leveling your character (90-92), you have to loot a quest item to start a quest chain.
- Alliance: Loot [Haephest's Satchel] from Draenor mobs or Karnoth during Shadows Awaken quest.
- Horde: Loot [Fractured Forge Hammer] from Draenor mobs or Dorogg the Ruthless during The Butcher of Bladespire quest.
You will get the scroll after you compelte the small question you get from these items.
- 1 - 550
There are the 3 recipes that you can use:
They will give you 10 skill points, and each of them require 60 ores to craft, so you will need 3300 ores to reach 550. It seems a lot but these ores are really cheap, they should be under 2 gold/ore.
You shouldn't use these recipes for more skill points because you will be just waisting ores. You will make Legion recipes between 550-740 that you will use later on, so basically you can level with items that you would have to make anyway.
Leveling 1-800 with Legion recipes
This part requires level 100.
First, visit your Blacksmithing trainer Alard Schmied at Dalaran. Just walk up to a guard in the city, you can ask them where the Blacksmithing trainer is located.
Blacksmithing recipes are unlocked by doing quests for your profession trainer Alard Schmied.
You should get to level 110 and finish every Blacksmithing quest before you continue this guide.
There are 34 Blacksmithing quest in total, they are pretty straight forward, so I will not write down the details of every quests. Some of the quests lead you to dungeons but you can finish every quest easily in a few hours if you start them at 110, otherwise you will have to wait because later quests have level requirement.
Most Legion recipes now have 3 ranks. Higher rank recipes allow you to craft an item for fewer materials. Therefore, you should only use rank 3 recipes when you can.
Rank 3 recipes comes from different sources like Vendors, World Quests, Reputation, dungeon drops, and even rated battleground wins.
If you hover over the little stars in your spellbook, you can see the source of the next rank for the selected recipe.
Unlocking World Quests
Most of the of the rank 3 leystone recipes comes from World Quests. To get these quests, you must first complete Uniting the Isles by reaching friendly reputation with every Legion faction. You can get this quest from Archmage Khadgar. (requires level 110)
After you unlocked the quests, you have to level your Blacksmithing to at least 100 to unlock the profession World quests.
35 - 100
(You should be at 35 from crafting the items for the Blacksmithing quest)
19 x [Leystone Waistguard - Rank 2] - 342 Leystone Ore
Now open your world map and check every zone for blacksmithing world quests. They are marked with the little anvil blacksmithing icon. The world quests you get are randomly generated, so you might not get one right away and have to wait even a few days until one pops up.
If you don't want to wait for world quests, then there are two alternative recipes that you can get:
- [Recipe: Leystone Waistguard - Rank 3] is sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 500 Sightless Eye at the Dalaran Sewers.
Here is a detailed guide on how to get Sightless Eye. You can get the 500 in about half an hour, or even less. (Recommended to get this)
- [Recipe: Leystone Helm - Rank 3] is found in the chest you get after you beat the last boss in Halls of Valor.
Important NOTE: Jump ahead to the 739 - 743 section and read the part regarding [Blood of Sargeras] use. If you don't want to use any Blood of Sargeras for leveling, you can start making Demonsteel Bar from skill one because you will need around 1500, and you will reach 740 by making those.
100 - 739
Save all of these if you can. Later you can break them down into [Obliterum Ash].
- 100 - 552
113 x [Leystone Waistguard - Rank 3] - 1356 Leystone Ore
It doesn't matter which Rank 3 Leystone item you choose. If an items requires more ores, it will also give you more skill points. But you should try to avoid using recipes that requires [Foxflower Flux] because it costs 4 gold each.
I used the Waistguard as an example, but it's actually the easiest to get and one of the best one for leveling.
- 552 - 739
187 x [Demonsteel Bar] - 374 Felslate, 187 Leystone Ore
You will use all of these later. It's important that you stop at 739! You won't gain the benefit of multiple skill-ups with the next recipe if you reach 740.
739 - 743
1 x [Demonsteel Waistguard - Rank 1] - 18 Demonsteel Bar, 20 Unbroken Tooth, 3 Blood of Sargeras.
A Firmament Stone is required to craft this. Go to Ironhorn Enclave in Highmountain, the stone is near Muirn Ironhorn.
It really depends on how many crafted items you want to upgrade. Each use of [Obliterum] requires 2 Blood of Sargeras. But, if you don't plan to use Blood of Sargeras for that many gear upgrades, then you should use them for crafting gear because there is no other use for them.
Here are the (approximate) numbers for 740-800:
rank 3 Armguards: 1720 x Felslate, 860 x Leystone Ore
rank 3 Waistguard: 480 x Felslate, 240 x Leystone Ore, 80 Blood of Sargeras
If you want to buy everything from the Auction House, then the obvious choice is the Armguards because you can't buy Blood of Sargeras.
743 - 783
After you craft any Demonsteel armor the first time, you can talk to Muirn Ironhorn to get rank 2 recipe for that armor piece. You have to craft one from each if you want to get all of them.
Make sure to get the rank 3 versions before you start crafting these!
Make the one you choose previously:
- 10 x [Demonsteel Waistguard - Rank 3] - 40 Demonsteel Bar, 20 Blood of Sargeras.
- 13 x [Demonsteel Armguards - Rank 3] - 455 x Demonsteel Bar
Rank 3 recipe locations
- [Recipe: Demonsteel Waistguard - Rank 3] is sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 500 Sightless Eye at the Dalaran Sewers. Here is a detailed guide on how to get Sightless Eye. You can get the 500 in about half an hour, or even less.
- [Recipe: Demonsteel Armguards - Rank 3] is sold by Ransa Greyfeather at Thunder Totem in Highmountain. Requires exalted Highmountain Tribe reputation.
Alternatives to the Waistguard:
(you will need to get the rank 1 and rank 2 versions first)
- [Recipe: Demonsteel Boots - Rank 3] - Sold by Valdemar Stormseeker. Requires exalted reputation with Valarjar.
- [Recipe: Demonsteel Pauldrons - Rank 3] - Reward for wining a rated Battleground.
783 - 800
This part will be different for everyone. These recipes will be yellow between 780-790, and green between 790-800. Yellow and green recipes won't give skill point every time, so you will probably have to make around 25-35.
You should check your Calendar in-game to see if the Darkmoon Faire is open, the event starts at 00:01 on the Sunday before the 1st Monday of each month.
You can gain +5 skill points by completing a single quest (use it at 795). Click here to read more about the quests.
I hope you liked this Blacksmithing guide, congratulations on reaching 800!