There are a lot of changes to professions in the new expansion, so I made this page to list what I gathered so far. I will update this page everytime I find something interesting in the new beta builds.
Last update: october 22.
- Direct combat benefits of Professions will be removed. This means you no longer have to level professions to get 0.5% dps increase, so leveling a profession will be more like a personal choice now.
- Realm First profession achievements are gone.
- Herbalism, Mining and Skinning will be easier to level. You can now pick herbs, harvest mineral nodes and skin animals without a required skill. The amount of ore/herb/leather you'll get is determined by your skill level. This is similar what we have now for herbs and ores in pandaria. You can read more about this here.
- You can craft directly from your bank.
Herbalists and Miners will be able to gather herbs and ores with low skill in Pandaria. You will get fragments like [Ghost Iron Nugget] and [Torn Green Tea Leaf] when you gather herbs or ores. These are just a few examples, there is a fragment version for every herb and ore. (for trillium there is currently none) You can combine 10 of these fragments into a single ore or herb.
Here is the official quote:
- Herbalists of low skill can now pick herbs in Pandaria for a small amount of usable material. The yield an herbalist will be able to harvest from each node is determined by skill level.
- Miners of low skill can now mine mineral deposits in Pandaria for a small amount of usable material. The yield a miner will be able to harvest from each node is determined by skill level.
The NDA on the Mists of Pandaria press tour is finally lifted so you could read a tons of information in the last two days. Unfortunately, only a few professions were covered in the interviews.
One change which is not really profession related is the AoE looting, I'm really excited about this because it will make farming cloths in instances a lot easier.
UPDATE: You can see the AoE looting in action. It's awesome.
- Archaeology: There will be many new artifacts to discover in Pandaria, and the new Lorewalker faction will allow you to learn about the Pandaren's culture in-depth--should make Archaeology feel like less of an impersonal grind. Players will present an artifact to the Lorewalkers in their grand library, and they'll be treated to a presentation on the library's stage. As for the existing races and artifacts, there are plans to tie the Lorewalkers into discovering these artifacts as well.
There is an event called Darkmoon Faire that appears in the game once a month, starting at 00:01 on the Sunday before the 1st Monday of each month.
During the event you can complete quests for each professions. The profession quests can only be completed once during each Darkmoon Faire and will grant 5 skill points. Some of the quest requires additional items, but all of those items can be bought from vendors, don't buy them from the Auction House.
The location of the Faire is on Darkmoon Island. The portals to the Island can be accessed in the following locations:
- Eastern Kingdoms, on the south side of Goldshire in Elwynn Forest
- Kalimdor, in Mulgore at the base of Thunder Bluff
I finished the Cloth farming guides. These guides will be updated if something changes in World of Warcraft. You can see all guides if you visit my farming guides page. Feel free to contact me any time if you know more great farming places.
I actually don't recommend to farm Linen Cloth if you have a high level character. Farming Linen Cloth takes time but instead of farming you could just buy the Cloths from the Auction House for a few gold and save a lot of time. Wool Cloth farming is recommended because it's usually expensive, and the places with instant mob respawns are really good.