WoW Cooking Leveling Guide 1 - 800
Updated for Legion patch 7.1
Legion altered the process of leveling cooking. Cooking skill does not limit which Legion recipes are available. The number of dishes produced by each cook varies with recipe ranks.
If you are low on gold, I recommend you to try this Gold Making Guide, it can help you to make loads of gold.
If you are still leveling your character or you just started a new alt, I recommend you to use a leveling guide. You can level your character to level 110 in 8 days with this guide.
The recipes used here require at least level 85 and access to the continent of Pandaria. If your level is not high enough, you can visit my older cooking leveling guide, but what I recommend is just to wait until you reach level 85. It's really easy to level cooking to 520 with this new method. It takes about 20 minutes, while with the older method it would take hours and even days because you need to do daily quests to get the recipes.
Level 90 players should start with going to Draenor and kill mobs until you get [The Joy of Draenor Cooking]. It seems it mostly drops from humanoid mobs. (first, you have to learn cooking from a trainer)
Go to the Halfhill Market in Valley of the Four Winds and talk to Sungshin Ironpaw.
Every recipe you will learn grant 5 skillups per craft up to 525 as long as they're orange. A few of the recipes require [Golden Carp], which can be fished from any water in Pandaria. Just learn fishing and fish in any water in Pandaria, you will catch one every single time. You will also need two [Wildfowl Breast], it's dropped by Glade Sprinters near Halfhill Market.
1. Learn a recipe.
2. Buy the ingredients from Sungshin Ironpaw.
3. Make the recipe until it turns yellow.
4. Learn new recipe.
5. Repeat this until you reach 526.
Don't forget to learn the new ranks of cooking at 50, 125, 275, 350 and at 425! If you already have [The Joy of Draenor Cooking] then you don't have to learn new ranks.
Learning the new ranks and the recipes will cost around 340 gold.
As I mentioned before, there are parts where you need some [Golden Carp](42 in total). You can fish Golden Carp with fishing skill 1 in any water in Pandaria. But, you can also make [Grilled Saberfish] or [Saberfish Broth] if you already learned [The Joy of Draenor Cooking].
526 - 600
This part requires level 90.
Go to Draenor and kill mobs until you get [The Joy of Draenor Cooking]. It seems it mostly drops from humanoid mobs.
Use the scroll, and you will learn the following two recipes:
- 526 - 600
You can skip this part and start making legion recipes but it's worth to check the price of Crescent Saberfish Flesh because it's really cheap sometimes.
600 - 800
This part requires level 100.
Every Legion cooking recipe have 3 ranks. Higher rank recipes allow you to cook more food for the same materials, and higher rank recipes also give skill points much longer. (the exceptions are the new Feast recipes, you always make one, but it will cost fewer materials)
If you hover over the little stars in your spellbook, you can see the source of the next rank for the selected recipe.
The best cooking recipes and every rank 2 and rank 3 recipes are unlocked by doing research at Nomi's test kitchen at Dalaran.
To unlock the cooking research, you have to find a cooking recipe in the world, then Nomi will spawn near you, and offer you a quest: Too Many Cooks - Horde / The Prodigal Sous Chef - Alliance. (If you don't have any new legion recipe yet, and Nomi haven't offered you the quest, then you can get one of the recipes below)
The follow up quest is A Good Recipe List. You must learn 6 Legion Cooking recipes. Sometimes it doesn't count your cooking recipes correctly, but a quick logout should fix it.
These 6 recipes are the easiest to get:
- [Recipe: Bear Tartare] - dropped by Mordvigbjorn at Stormheim.
- [Recipe: Barracuda Mrglgagh] - To get this recipe, you must do three short quests from King Mrgl-Mrgl (at 42.7, 10.9). These quests are: Slime Time, I'll Huff, I'll Puff..., Nature vs. Nurture. After you complete these 3, you will get the quest Murlocs: The Next Generation which will reward you with the recipe.
- [Recipe: Salt and Pepper Shank] - You have to finish the following 3 quests at Highmountain for this recipe. First you must do Amateur Hour and Lion Stalkin' from Hemet Nesingwary. After you finish these two, you can pick up the quest I'm Not Lion! from Ellias.
- [Recipe: Deep-Fried Mossgill] - Get A Village in Peril from Darcy Heathrow at Val'Sharah 54.79, 52.77 (lying on the ground). This quest sends you to Bradensbrook where you complete it by talking to Mayor Heathrow. After turning in this quest to Mayor Heathrow in Bradensbrook, you can head directly to Cecily Radcliffe at 37.11, 58.31 and begin Shriek No More.
- [Recipe: Leybeque Ribs] - Dropped by Myonix at Suramar. (level 110 rare)
- [Recipe: Fighter Chow] - Kill Salteye Murlocs at Azsuna until you get [Okuna's Message]. This item begins the quest Bottled Up, which will send you to Lady Irisse. Then you will getInfiltrating Shipwreck Arena, in which you find Okuna Longtusk. Okuna gives you a series of quests, ultimately bringing you to Morale Booster, which rewards you with this recipe.
- Alternative recipe if you are not level 110 yet, and can't kill Myonix:
[Recipe: Drogbar-Style Salmon] - Kill Dogbar mobs at Highmountain. I could get this one in 5 minutes on all of my characters, but you might not be so lucky, and it can take 10-30 minutes until you get it. There is a spot at Highmountain where Mightstone Flankers and Mightstone Slingers are fighting friendly NPCs and they respawn almost instantly after you kill them, so there are usually 4-7 mobs up.
You are now able to start Work Orders for any type of Legion meat or fish you have in your bags. Each Work Order takes 4 hours. Creating a Work Order with a specific ingredients has a chance to teach you a recipe that uses that ingredient.
Getting new recipes from the research is not 100%. There is a high chance you will get [Badly Burnt Food].
100 x [Rank 1 - Salt and Pepper Shank] - 500 x [Lean Shank], 200 x Flaked Sea Salt, 200 x Dalapeno Pepper
You can buy the Flaked Sea Salt and the Dalapeno Pepper from the vendor near your cooking trainer at Dalaran.
I recommend this recipe because Lean Shank is usually the cheapest meat. But [Faronaar Fizz] can be good alternative.
Visit your cooking trainer at Dalaran and learn the next rank of cooking. The trainers are Awilo Lon'gomba for Horde and Katherine Lee for Alliance.
You can also use [Wildfowl Egg]> for research if you choose Faronaar Fizz.
There are only 7 recipes that you can use to level cooking to 800. All 7 of them comes from cooking discovery, and you need the rank 3 versions because the rank 2 recipes turn grey at 780. So, you shouldn't even craft the rank 2 for leveling because you will have to get the rank 3 no matter what and this way at least you get more food.
You need to choose from one of these recipes below and pick one of the ingredients to use as research until you get the rank 3 recipe. You can get duplicate recipes, therefore it's a good idea to check your workorder often and learn the rank 1 recipe before you finish more work orders, so you have a chance to get rank 2 and not another rank 1.
The chance to get these rank 3 recipes is really low. I have been researching cooking recipes since the expansion started and I still don't have rank 3 from everything.
List of recipes and the meat/fish needed for research:
- [Azshari Salad] - Research: [Lean Shank] or [Runescale Koi]
- [Crispy Bacon] - Research: [Slice of Bacon]
- [Fishbrul Special] - Research: [Cursed Queenfish], [Mossgill Perch] or [Black Barracuda]
- [Lavish Suramar Feast] - Research: [Runescale Koi], [Leyblood]
- [Nightborne Delicacy Platter] - Research: [Wildfowl Egg]
- [Seed-Battered Fish Plate] - Research: [Runescale Koi], [Silver Mackerel]
- [The Hungry Magister] - Research: [Highmountain Salmon] or [Fatty Bearsteak]
Alternative way to reach 800
There is an alternative way to get to 800, but you should get at least a rank 2 version from the recipes mentioned above, or Revered with the Wardens. It will take 20 days to level like this, but this still might be faster than waiting for that rank 3 recipe from Nomi.
If you have a rank 2 recipe from the 7 recipes above, make that until you reach 780. Rank 3 from any of the Light meal recipes also work if you have them.
If you are revered with the Wardens you can buy [Recipe: Spiced Wildfowl Omelet] from Marin Bladewing at Azsuna. Then make around 50-60 [Spiced Wildfowl Omelet] until you reach 780. You will need around 100-120 [Falcosaur Egg].
The reason you need 20 days to reach 800 is because you will be doing the low level cooking daily quests in Orgrimmar/Stormwind. These quests give 1 or sometimes 2 skill points all the way up to 800.
Darkmoon Faire free +5 cooking skill
You should check your Calendar in-game to see if the Darkmoon Faire is open, the event starts at 00:01 on the Sunday before the 1st Monday of each month.
You can gain +5 skill points by completing a single quest (use it at 795). Click here to read more about the quests.
I hope you liked this Cooking guide, congratulations to 800!