Legion Engineering Leveling Guide 1 - 800
Updated for Legion patch 7.1
Engineering is the best combined with Mining because if you level Engineering with Mining you will save a lot of gold. Check out the Mining leveling guide if you want to level Mining. But, the fastest way to level Engineering is to buy everything from the Auction House.
If you are low on gold, I recommend you to try this Gold Making Guide, it can help you to make loads of gold.
If you are still leveling your character or you just started a new alt, I recommend you to use a leveling guide. You can level your character to level 110 in 8 days with this guide.
Table of contents:
- Two way to level Engineering
- Leveling 1-650 with Draenor recipes (cheaper option)
- Leveling 1-800 with Legion recipes
Two way to level Engineering
If your character is below level 90, visit my Engineering Leveling Guide for players below level 90. This guide is for level 90-110 players.
There are currently two ways to level Engineering up to 625.
- One is with Draenor materials because they are really cheap. (this option will probably be removed from the guide after everyone runs out of Draenor materials)
- The other options is to use the new Legion recipes, but it will cost you a lot more especially at the start of the expansion. However, using the new Legion recipes, you get items that are useful and can be sold at the Auction House. You can also break down the armors at level 110 to get [Obliterum Ash], which you can turn into [Obliterum].
So, which one should you choose?
Check the prices on your realm for these:
- 312 Blackrock Ore, 312 True Iron Ore, 312 Nagrand Arrowbloom (combined price of the three)
- 625 Leystone Ore
Choose the one that's cheaper. At the start of the expansion it will probably be cheaper to make draenor recipes for a while. But, if you farm the materials, then I would recommend to choose the Legion recipes because you can get [Blood of Sargeras] from mining ores.
Leveling 1-625 with Draenor recipes (cheaper option)
First, visit your Engineering trainer at Dalaran, or one of main cities of old Azeroth. Just walk up to a guard in a city, you can ask them where the Engineering trainer is located. You can also find trainers at Ashran if you ask the guards.
You have to get a [Draenor Engineering] scroll to upgrade your maximum Engineering skill to 700. This scroll will also teach you a few basic recipes which you will use to level Engineering.
There are three ways to obtain this scroll:
- You can buy it from the Engineering trainers in Ashran. Alliance players can find Sean Catchpole at Stormshield, and Horde players can find Nik Steelrings at Warspear.
- If you build an Engineering Works at your garrison, you can buy the scroll from one of the NPC at the building.
- If you are still leveling your character (90-92), you have to loot a quest item to start a quest chain.
- 1 - 625
First you need to make Gearsrping Parts to make an [Ultimate Gnomish Army Knife]. You will need this tool to craft most engineering items.
There are three recipes that you can use to level, you only need to make one of these:
156 x [Stealthman 54] - 312 Blackrock Ore, 312 True Iron Ore, 312 Nagrand Arrowbloom
312 x [Mecha-Blast Rocket] - 1872 x Blackrock Ore
312 x [Shieldtronic Shield] - 1872 x True Iron Ore
[Stealthman 54] is usually the best choice unless Nagrand Arrowbloom is insanely overpriced at the Auction House.
Leveling 1-800 with Legion recipes
This part requires level 100.
First, visit your Engineering trainer Timofey Oshenko at Dalaran. Just walk up to a guard in the city, you can ask them where the Engineering trainer is located.
The quest reward is [Legion Engineer].
Most Engineering recipes are unlocked by doing quests. These quests are given by one of the NPCs around your trainer.
You should get to level 110 and finish every Engineering quest before you continue this guide.
There are 29 Engineering quest in total, they are pretty straight forward, so I will not write down the details of every quests. Some of the quests lead you to dungeons but you can finish every quest easily in a few hours if you start them at 110, otherwise you will have to wait because later quests have level requirement.
The most important quest is "Revamping the Recoil", it will reward you with the four ilvl 815 head pieces that you will craft between 780-800.
Most Legion recipes now have 3 ranks. Higher rank recipes allow you to craft an item for fewer materials. Therefore, you should only use rank 3 recipes when you can.
Rank 3 recipes comes from different sources like Vendors, World Quests, Reputation, dungeon drops, and even rated battleground wins.
If you hover over the little stars in your spellbook, you can see the source of the next rank for the selected recipe.
Unlocking World Quests
Some of the of the rank 3 recipes comes from World Quests. To get these quests, you must first complete Uniting the Isles by reaching friendly reputation with every Legion faction. You can get this quest from Archmage Khadgar (requires level 110).
After you unlocked the quests, you have to level your Engineering to at least 100 to unlock the profession World quests.
1 - 700
[Leystone Buoy] is the only Legion recipe that is good for leveling. If you can't get this recipe, you should level with Draenor recipes. There is no good alternative to this because the draenor recipes are a lot cheaper than any other Legion recipe.
[Schematic: Leystone Buoy] recipe is dropped by Bitterbrine Slave inside Eye of Azshara dungeon or from Bitterbrine Saltcaster and Bitterbrine Venomer at Azsuna. It has really low drop rate so you might have to farm here for 30-50 mins to get it.
700 - 720
[Leystone Buoy] is still really good for the 700 - 720 part, but it it will no longer give 3 skill points, only one.
Check the price of Leystone Ore and compare these two recipes below:
- 30 x [Leystone Buoy] - 90 x Leystone Ore
Recipe will be yellow, so you will probably have to make between 25-35.
- 20 x [Gunpowder Charge - Rank 3] - 20 x Leystone Ore, 400 x [Oversized Blasting Cap]
400 x [Oversized Blasting Cap] cost around 460 gold, so if that's more than 70 Leystone Ore, than you should make the [Gunpowder Charge - Rank 3]. You will craft this item for the next part, so you will have to farm this recipe anyway.
Gunpowder Charge recipe location
You already have rank 1 if you finished every Engineering quest. It was a reward from All Charged Up.
Rank 2 and Rank 3 are sold by The Widow for 250, and 500 Sightless Eye at the Dalaran Sewers. Here is a detailed guide on how to get Sightless Eye. You can get the 750 in about an hour, or even less.
720 - 779
Description on how to get this recipe can be found in the previous section.
1500 x Oversized Blasting Cap cost 1725 gold. You might need to make more from these because this recipe will be green between 770-779.
It's really important that you STOP at 779! The next recipe gives multiple skill points each craft when you craft it while it's orange. It turn yellow from orange at 780, so you can still craft it at 779 and jump to 784. That 4 extra skill points will save you a lot of gold because otherwise you would have to craft the next item 4 times to get to 784.
779 - 800
The rank 2 version of the recipes below will turn yellow at 780, so you could use that to level to 800, but it will be a lot more expensive. You will need to craft around 30 of them instead of 10 from the rank 3.
Note: If you have a gnome character, your racial gives you a 15 point head start. This means recipes stays orange longer, so this part will be a lot easier for a gnome. Gnomes should craft the previous recipe until 794, then craft two of the recipes below.
There are four recipes that you can use for this part. All of these will be yellow between 790-800. This means you won't get skill points for every craft, so the number of recipes you need to craft will be different for everyone. You will probably have to craft around 10-13.
- 10 x [Rank 3 - Double-Barreled Cranial Cannon] - 300 Stormscale, 20 Felhide, 20 Blood of Sargeras
- 10 x [Rank 3 - Ironsight Cranial Cannon] - 150 Demonsteel Bar, 20 Infernal Brimstone, 20 Blood of Sargeras
- 10 x [Rank 3 - Sawed-Off Cranial Cannon] - 300 Stonehide Leather, 20 Felhide, 20 Blood of Sargeras
- 10 x [Rank 3 - Semi-Automagic Cranial Cannon] - 300 Imbued Silkweave, 20 Felwort, 20 Blood of Sargeras
You already got the rank 1 recipes from "Revamping the Recoil" quest if you finished your Engineering quests.
Rank 2 recipes are sold by Fargo Flintlocke at Azsuna.
Rank 3 recipe locations:
- [Schematic: Sawed-Off Cranial Cannon] - The Wardens - Exalted - Sold by Marin Bladewing at Azsuna.
- [Schematic: Semi-Automagic Cranial Cannon] - The Wardens - Exalted - Sold by Marin Bladewing at Azsuna.
- [Schematic: Ironsight Cranial Cannon] - Can be found in Small Treasure Chests in the Withered Army Training scenario. Read this wowhead comment on how to unlock this
- [Schematic: Double-Barreled Cranial Cannon] - Broken Isle world drop from any creature.
You should check your Calendar in-game to see if the Darkmoon Faire is open, the event starts at 00:01 on the Sunday before the 1st Monday of each month.
You can gain +5 skill points by completing a single quest (use it at 795). Click here to read more about the quests.
I hope you liked this Engineering leveling guide, congratulations on reaching 800!