This guide provides an overview of the additions and changes to Inscription in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth.
Table of contents
- Learning BfA Inscription
- Leveling Inscription
- Acquiring Recipes
- Inscription Perks
- Crafting Materials
- Darkmoon Trinkets
- War Scrolls
- Vantus Rune
- Utility and Miscellaneous Items
New in Patch 8.2
- New ink: Maroon Ink
- New contracts: Contract: Ankoan, Contract: Rustbolt Resistance, Contract: Unshackled
- New glyphs: Glyph of the Cold Waves, Glyph of the Dark Depths, Glyph of Steaming Fury
- Vantus Rune: The Eternal Palace - Vantus rune for the new raid.
- Notorious Combatant's Etched Vessel - ilvl 370 Off-hand
- Highborne Compendium of Swirling Tides - Your healing spells have a chance to grant an ally an absorption shield that absorbs up to 8441 damage for 12 sec. While the shield is active, the targets Primary Stat is increased by 350.
- Highborne Compendium of Mystical Bulwark - When you take damage, you have a chance to heal for 4298 health and gain 174 Armor for 10 sec, stacking up to 696 Armor.
- Highborne Compendium of Storms - Your spells have a chance to conjure a typhoon that travels towards enemies dealing 10703 Nature damage and grant you 64~1 Haste for 15 sec, up to 256 Haste.
- Highborne Compendium of Sundering - Your attacks have a chance to inflict Volcanic Pressure on the enemy, dealing 1126 Fire damage every 2 sec for 10 sec. When Volcanic Pressure reaches 6 stacks it erupts, dealing 17834 Fire damage to all nearby enemies.
Learning BfA Inscription
The new BfA Inscription skill is named differently for the two factions, but the name is the only difference between them.
- Horde: You can find Chronicler Grazzul in Dazar'alor at the Terrace of Crafters. Coordinates: /way 42.3, 39.6
- Alliance: Zooey Inksprocket is located in Boralus at the Tradewinds Market. Coordinates: /way 73.4, 6.33
You can walk up to a guard in Dazar'alor or Boralus then ask where the Inscription trainer is located. This will place a red marker on your map at the trainer's location.
Professions skills are split between expansions now, you'll have a separate skill bar for each expansion. This means you can level the new Battle for Azeroth skill tier without putting any point into any of the previous expansions tiers, you don't have to level Inscription with older materials to be able to craft the new BfA items. The new Battle for Azeroth Inscription has a maximum of 175 skill points. You can read more about this in my BfA Profession overview.
Every BfA recipe will require different Inscription skill levels, so it's very different from what we had in Legion where you could craft most high-level items with Inscription skill 1. You will have to level your BfA Inscription skill up if you want to craft high-level items.
Check out my BfA Inscription leveling guide, if you are looking for an in-depth leveling guide with exact numbers and reagents needed.
Most recipes still have ranks just like in Legion, but there are no profession quests for crafting profession in BfA, you will learn most rank 1 and rank 2 recipes from your trainer. They are gated by profession skill, so you have to level your Inscription up to get every recipe.
- Rank 1: Allows you to craft an item.
- Rank 2: Reduce the materials required to create an item.
- Rank 3: Greatly reduces the materials required to craft an item.
You can buy most Rank 3 recipes from vendors, but none of them require Exalted reputation, only Revered, so it's pretty easy to get them. (A few rank 3 recipes come from World Quests)
- Zandalari Empire - Natal'hakata in Zuldazar.
- Voldunai recipes - Hoarder Jena in Vol'dun.
- Talanji's Expedition - Provisioner Lija in Nazmir.
- The Honorbound - Ransa Greyfeather in Zuldazar.
- Storm's Wake - Sister Lilyana in Stormsong Valley.
- Order of Embers - Quartermaster Alcorn in Drustvar.
- Proudmoore Admiralty - Provisioner Fray in Tiragarde Sound.
- 7th Legion - Vindicator Jaelaana in Tiragarde Sound.
- Tortollan Seekers - Collector Kojo at Scaletrader Post in Zuldazar, or by Collector Kojo at Seeker's Vista in Stormsong Valley.
If you level your character to level 120 and your Battle for Azeroth Inscription to 150, then you can unlock a special questline to craft Sanguine Feather Quill of Lana'thel. This item allows you to create Blood Contracts, and siphon the blood from dead creatures around you restoring your own health.
The 4 Blood Contracts will summon a guardian to fight for you:
- Blood Contract: Sacrifice - Heal
- Blood Contract: Bloodguard - Tank
- Blood Contract: Bloodshed - Melee dps
- Blood Contract: Oblivion - Ranged dps
The questline will take you through the process of creating your tool and give you some backstory on where the recipe comes from. Most of the quests are really straightforward and easy so I'll skip explaining each quests. Just follow your quest log and check the markers on your map.
To get started on your profession quest line, speak with your profession trainer Chronicler Grazzul (Horde) in Dazar'alor or Zooey Inksprocket (Alliance) in Boralus. You can walk up to a guard in Dazar'alor or Boralus then ask where your profession trainer is located. This will place a red marker on your map at the trainer's location.
After you complete the quest chain, you will get the Sanguine Feather Quill of Lana'thel recipe. To craft this item, you need:
- 10 x Expulsom
- 15 x Viridescent Ink
- 30 x Crimson Ink
- 50 x Coagulated Miasma from the Blood Trolls in the Underrot dungeon. (any difficulty)
- 1 x Ancient Blood Pigment - Drops from any Zandalar or Kul Tiran World Boss.
- 1 x Gilded Plume - The Golden Serpent boss in King's Rest dungeon. (any difficulty)
- Ultramarine Ink - Made from Ultramarine Pigment
- Crimson Ink - Made from Crimson Pigment
- Viridescent Ink - Made from Viridescent Pigment
There are also 5 soulbound crafting materials:
Expulsom is obtained primarily from scrapping armors and weapons using the Scrap-o-Matic 1000 (Alliance), or the Shred-Master Mk1 (Horde). These tools work like disenchanting, you can break down any gear obtained that is from the Battle for Azeroth expansion, including dungeon/raid drops, quest rewards, world drops and crafted gear. You can read about this in more detail if you visit my Expulsom Farming Guide.
Tidalcore is a guaranteed drop from the last boss in a Mythic dungeons and from the chest at the end of any level Mythic Plus Dungeon. They can also drop from the last boss of a heroic dungeon, however, this is not a guaranteed drop.
Breath of Bwonsamdi drops from bosses in the new raid Battle for Dazar'alor and is used for crafting epic 400 and 415 item Alchemy trinkets. (1 from each LFR wing, 1 from a Normal boss, 10 from a Heroic boss, 20 from a Mythic boss)
Sanguicell drops from raid bosses in Uldir. (1 from each LFR wing, 1 from a Normal boss, 10 from a Heroic boss, 20 from a Mythic boss)
Hydrocore used to drop in Mythic dungeons, but it no longers drops since path 8.1, and you can only get it by using Transmutes.
New Inscription Recipes
Scribers can craft a new type of items called contracts. They allow you to gain 10 reputation with a faction every time you complete a world quest on Kul Tiras or Zandalar. These are not soulbound, so you can sell them at the Auction House. The contract will last for 7 days. You can cancel it by using a contract for another faction, or you can choose to remove it by right-clicking on the buff.
You can learn the rank 1 recipes from your Inscription trainer after you reach 75 in Inscription. The rank 2 recipe can be obtained from that faction's reputation vendor once you reach Honored with that faction. The Rank 3 recipes are obtained from Work Order world quests, these will show up randomly every few days, so it's random when you get a rank 3.
- Contract: Order of Embers
- Contract: Proudmoore Admiralty
- Contract: Storm's Wake
- Contract: 7th Legion
- Contract: Talanji's Expedition
- Contract: Voldunai
- Contract: Zandalari Empire
- Contract: The Honorbound
Darkmoon Card of War is used for crafting the new Darkmoon trinkets:
- Darkmoon Deck: Blockades - Tank
- Darkmoon Deck: Tides - Heal
- Darkmoon Deck: Squalls - Intellect dps
- Darkmoon Deck: Fathoms - Agility / Strength dps
War-Scrolls give a buff to either attack power, intellect, or stamina for all your party/raid members. Warriors, mages, and priests have a better version of these buffs (10%), so these scrolls are only useful when those classes are not in your party/raid. (they don't stack with the class buffs)
You can learn these scrolls after you reach 50 in Inscription.
- War-Scroll of Battle Shout - 7% Attack Power for 30 minutes.
- War-Scroll of Fortitude - 7% Stamina for 30 minutes.
- War-Scroll of Intellect - 7% Intellect for 30 minutes.
- Glyph of the Dolphin - Druid Glyph - Your Aquatic Form now appears as a Dolphin.
- Glyph of the Humble Flyer - Druid Glyph - Your Swift Flight Travel Form appears as your more humble racial flyer.
- Glyph of the Tideskipper - Druid Glyph - Your Aquatic Form now appears as a Tideskipper Dolphin.
- Glyph of the Tides - Mage Glyph - Your Water Elemental is replaced by a bluer Tidal Elemental.
- Glyph of Storm's Wake - Mage Glyph - Your Water Elemental is replaced by the light blue favored by the Tidepriests.
|Inscribed Vessel of Mysticism||85||110||Tortollan Seekers - Revered|
|Honorable Combatant's Etched Vessel||85||Rank 2 and 3 sold by Ozgrom Ragefang (Horde) / Leedan Gustaf (Alliance)|
|Sinister Combatant's Etched Vessel||115|
Vantus Runes increase your versatility by 1500 against a particular boss for a week.
- Vantus Rune: Uldir - Vantus Rune for Uldir.
- Vantus Rune: Battle of Dazar'alor - Vantus Rune for Battle of Dazar'alor raid.
Utility and Miscellaneous Items
- Follower equipment: Crimson Ink Well - Chance to receive BFA inscription inks after mission success.
- Tome of the Quiet Mind and Codex of the Quiet Mind are the new tomes for adjusting talents.
- Scroll of Unlocking - Allows opening of locks that require up to 600 lockpicking skill.
- Aqueous Chromotography - Convert Tidalcore into Hydrocore.
- Sanguinated Chromotography - Convert Breath of Bwonsamdi into Sanguicell.