Crafting your own Legendary Armor is one of the new features in the Shadowlands expansion. This guide tells you more about the whole process and explains what you need to do in order to craft your first Legendary item.
- Unlocking Legendary Crafting
- Components needed for crafting a Legendary
- 1. Legendary Power
- 2. Base items
- 3. Soul Ash
- 4. Missives
- Crafting your first Legendary
Unlocking Legendary Crafting
To start the questline that will unlock Legendary Crafting, you must:
- Reach level 60
- Complete the Main story campaign quests.
- Complete Choosing Your Purpose by choosing your covenant
- Complete your covenant's campaign quests.
Covenant campaign quests
- Kyrian Campaign - Among the Kyrian - Full Quest list
- Night Fae Campaign - For Queen and Grove! - Full Quest list
- Necrolord Campaign - Loyal to the Primus - Full Quest list
- Venthyr Campaign - Sinfall - Full Quest list
Unlocking Torghast and the Runecarver
After completing your covenant campaign, you can unlock Torghast and the Runecarver NPC by completing these quests.
- The Highlord Calls
- Into Torghast
- The Search for Baine - Loot the The Forgotten Key from the Boss where you rescue Baine. This item will start the Prison of the Forgotten quest.
- Go back to Oribos to complete The Search for Baine quest, then head back to the Maw and speak to Ve'nari to complete Prison of the Forgotten
- Go inside the Torghast portal and complete Prison of the Forgotten.
You are almost done, but you still have to do a few more quests to unlock the Runecarving UI where you will craft your legendaries.
- Deep Within
- A Damned Pact
- A Grave Chance
- The Weak Link
- Ashes of the Tower - (read more about this at the Soul Ash section)
- The Final Pieces - Read the details below on how to get the items needed to complete this.
Components needed for crafting a Legendary
You will need the following four Components:
- Legendary Power
- Base Item
- 2 Missives
- Soul Ash
Below you will find a full description of these components and how to get them.
1. Legendary Power
Legendary Powers (Memory of the Runecarver) determine what Legendary Item Effect you will have on your legendary.
For example, the Memory of Gorefiend's Domination makes your Heart Strike reduces the remaining cooldown on Vampiric Blood by 2 seconds.
Legendary powers are limited to 2-3 gear slots, so make sure to check which base item you need for your legendary power. Using the previous example, the Memory of Gorefiend's Domination legendary power can only be crafted with Legs or Feet base items. (you can read more about base items in the next part of the guide)
Where to get Legendary Powers?
You can check the full list of Legendary Powers and where to get them if you click on the "Powers" tab in your Adventure Guide. (Click on "Home" at the top left corner if the "Power" tab doesn't show up.)
There are sixteen Legendary Powers for each class. They are obtained from raid bosses, dungeon bosses, PvP, Reputation, Torghast, and the Great Vault (new weekly chest).
2. Base items
Base items (Rune Vessels) determine the slot you are making your armor for, and the item level of your armor.
How to get Legendary Base Items?
Base items are crafted by players with Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring, and Jewelcrafting. They can be bought and sold at the Auction House, so you don't have to have these professions, you can just buy the base item.
How to learn the Legendary Base item recipes?
Once you reach 100 in Shadowlands Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring, or Jewelcrafting, the Runecarver will offer you one of these quests:
- The Vessels of the Thread - Tailoring
- The Vessels of Metal - Blacksmithing
- The Vessels of Leather and Bone - Leatherworking
- The Vessels of Jewels - Jewelcrafting
Full list of Base items
- Umbrahide Helm
- Umbrahide Pauldrons
- Umbrahide Vest
- Umbrahide Armguards
- Umbrahide Gauntlets
- Umbrahide Waistguard
- Umbrahide Leggings
- Umbrahide Treads
How to craft higher ilvl Legendary Base Items?
Every base item has four ranks, and each of them will have its own little experience bar. You will gain experience each time you craft a base item and once you fill the experience bar, you will learn the next rank. Crafting a higher rank base item will give more experience.
Higher rank base items also require a lot more materials. A rank 4 item usually costs around 4 times as much as a rank 1.
|Rank (ilvl)||XP / Craft||Total XP for next rank|
|Rank 1 (iLvl 190)||5||75|
|Rank 2 (iLvL 210)||10||150|
|Rank 3 (iLvL 225)||15||225|
|Rank 4 (iLvL 235)||-||-|
3. Soul Ash
Soul Ash is a new Shadowlands currency with a weekly cap. Currently, the only use of Soul Ash is to craft Legendary armors.
Where to get Soul Ash?
How many Soul Ash can you get a week?
Each week, there are 2 Torghast wings available with 8-8 layers each.
Completing higher level layers will also grant you Soul Ash from all lower layers, so you can skip all lower floors once you unlock layer 8.
|Layer#||Reward||Total Soul Ash|
|1||120 Soul Ash||120|
|2||100 Soul Ash||220|
|3||85 Soul Ash||305|
|4||70 Soul Ash||375|
|5||60 Soul Ash||435|
|6||50 Soul Ash||485|
|7||45 Soul Ash||530|
|8||40 Soul Ash||570|
How many Soul Ash you need?
You will need 1250 Soul Ash for a rank 1 (ilvl190) legendary, but higher Item Level base items require more Soul Ash:
- Rank 1 (iLvl 190): 1250 Soul Ash
- Rank 2 (iLvL 210): 2000 Soul Ash
- Rank 3 (iLvL 225): 3200 Soul Ash
- Rank 4 (iLvL 235): 5150 Soul Ash
Upgrading Your Legendary with Soul Ash
You can upgrade a legendary with Soul Ash, so you won't waste any Soul Ash if you craft an iLvl 190 legendary. The Soul Ash cost of crafting a rank 4, and crafting a rank 1 then upgrading it 3 times is the same.
The only thing that you will waste is the base item because you will need a new Base Item (but higher ilvl) each time you want to upgrade.
Missives basically let you choose which secondary stats you want on your legendary. You will need two different Missives, you can't use two from the same stat. (you can't change these later, even when upgrading)
To get the missives, you need Shadowlands Inscription (40) or buy them at the Auction House.
Crafting your First Legendary
Talk to the Runecarver and click on "I'd like to craft a legendary item".
- 1. Base Item
- 2. Legendary Power
- 3. Missives
- 4. Required Soul Ash.