Leatherworking is the best combined with skinning, and I highly recommend to level these professions together because it will be a lot easier to get the needed materials if you have skinning. So, check out my Skinning Leveling Guide if you want to level skinning. You can also just buy the mleathers at the Auction House, but then you will need a lot of gold.
If you are low on gold, I recommend you to try this Gold Making Guide, it can help you to make loads of gold.
If you are still leveling your character or you just started a new alt, I recommend you to use a leveling guide. You can level your character to level 110 in 8 days with this guide.
Table of contents:
- Two way to level Leatherworking
- Leveling 1-650 with Draenor recipes
- Leveling 1-800 with Legion recipes
Two way to level Leatherworking
If your character is below level 90, visit my Leatherworking Leveling Guide for players below level 90. This guide is for level 90-110 players.
There are currently two ways to level Leatherworking up to 650.
- One is with Draenor materials because they are really cheap. (this option will probably be removed from the guide after everyone runs out of Draenor materials)
- The other options is to use the new Legion recipes, but it will cost you a lot more especially at the start of the expansion. However, using the new Legion recipes, you get items that are useful and can be sold at the Auction House. You can also break down the armors at level 110 to get [Obliterum Ash], which you can turn into [Obliterum].
So, which one should you choose? Check the prices on your realm for these:
Choose the one that's cheaper. But, if you farm the materials, then I would recommend to choose the Legion recipes because you can get [Blood of Sargeras] from skinning animals.
Leveling 1-650 with Draenor recipes
First, visit your Leatherworking trainer at Dalaran, or one of main cities of old Azeroth. Just walk up to a guard in a city, you can ask them where the Leatherworking trainer is located. You can also find trainers at Ashran, Alliance players can find Jistun Sharpfeather at Stormshield, and Horde players can find Burga Stronghide at Warspear.
You have to get a [Draenor Leatherworking] scroll to upgrade your maximum Leatherworking skill to 700.
There are three ways to obtain this scroll:
- You can buy it from the Leatherworking pattern vendors in Ashran. Alliance players can find Leara Moonsilk at Stormshield, and Horde players can find Garm Gladestride at Warspear.
- If you build a Tannery at your garriosn, you can buy the scroll from one of the NPC at the building.
- If you are still leveling your character (90-92), you have to loot a quest item to start a quest chain.
- 2 - 650
324 x [Drums of Fury] - 1620 Raw Beast Hide
You need to create one [Secrets of Draenor Leatherworking] before you can buy this recipe from Leara Moonsilk (Alliance) at Stormshield / Garm Gladestride (Horde) at Warspear.
Leveling 1-800 with Legion recipes
This part requires level 100.
First, visit your Leatherworking trainer Namha Moonwater at Dalaran. Just walk up to a guard in the city, you can ask them where the Leatherworking trainer is located.
Leatherworking recipes are unlocked by doing quests for your profession trainer Namha Moonwater.
You should get to level 110 and finish every Leatherworking quest before you continue this guide.
There are 42 Leatherworking quest in total, they are pretty straight forward, so I will not write down the details of every quests. Some of the quests lead you to dungeons but you can finish every quest easily in a few hours if you start them at 110, otherwise you will have to wait because later quests have level requirement.
The last quest series can only be unlocked at level 110. To get these quest you have to do Suramar storyline up to Masquerade quest. You will get the starting Suramar quests from Khadgar as soon as you hit 110 and visit Dalaran. After you finish the Masquerade quest, visit your Leatherworking trainer at Dalaran and pick up the quest Demon Flesh. After you finish this quest chain, you will get two rewards: [Recipe: Gravenscale Armbands], and [Recipe: Dreadleather Bindings] . You can also buy the rest of the armor sets from Stalriss Dawnrunner at Suramar after you complete the quest. You will use one from these to level leatherworking from 740-800.
Most Legion recipes now have 3 ranks. Higher rank recipes allow you to craft an item for fewer materials. Therefore, you should only use rank 3 recipes when you can.
Rank 3 recipes comes from different sources like Vendors, World Quests, Reputation, dungeon drops, and even rated battleground wins.
If you hover over the little stars in your spellbook, you can see the source of the next rank for the selected recipe.
Unlocking World Quests
Most of the of the rank 3 Battlebound and Warhide recipes comes from World Quests. To get these quests, you must first complete Uniting the Isles by reaching friendly reputation with every Legion faction. You can get this quest from Archmage Khadgar.
If your first character has already completed this, you don't need to grind rep on your alts.
After you unlocked the quests, you have to level your Leatherworking to at least 100 to unlock the profession World quests.
1 - 760
If you finished every Leatherworking quests, you should have rank 2 version of every Battlebound and Warhide armor pieces. Now your aim should be to get one of the rank 3 recipes.
The world quests you get are randomly generated, so you might not get one right away and have to wait even a few days until one pops up. This is why I recommend recipes that you can get from vendors, or dungeons. But, if you would rather get one from world quest, you will have to level Leatherworking with one of the rank 2 recipes to 100, and then wait until a Leatherworking world quest shows on your map. (It looks like the leatherworking spell icon)
You will save around 170 leather if you get the recipes below before you start leveling leatherworking.
Rank 3 mail armors:
- [Battlebound Warhelm] - Valarjar - Honored - sold by Valdemar Stormseeker in Stormheim.
- [Battlebound Hauberk] - Valarjar - Honored - sold by Valdemar Stormseeker in Stormheim.
- [Battlebound Grips] - Treasure from last boss in Halls of Valor dungeon.
- [Battlebound Treads] - Dropped by Dargrul in Neltharion's Lair dungeon.
- [Battlebound Girdle] - is sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 500 Sightless Eye at the Dalaran Sewers. Here is a detailed guide on how to get Sightless Eye. You can get the 500 in about half an hour, or even less.
Rank 3 leather armors:
- [Warhide Bindings] - Dropped by Shade of Xavius in Darkheart Thicket dungeon.
- [Warhide Jerkin] - Dreamweavers - Honored - sold by Sylvia Hartshorn at Val'sharah.
- [Warhide Pants] Dropped by Wrath of Azshara in the Eye of Azshara dungeon.
- [Warhide Shoulderguard] Violet Hold hold dungeon drop.
- [Warhide Belt] - is sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 500 Sightless Eye at the Dalaran Sewers. Here is a detailed guide on how to get Sightless Eye. You can get the 500 in about half an hour, or even less.
I think the ones from dungeons are the easiest to get, so I will use on of those as an example. Skill pont gain for leather spent is roughly the same for every armor. If something costs more leather if will also give you more skill points.
760 - 800
Now you need to get a rank 2, and a rank 3 recipe from one of the Gravenscale or Dreadleather armor pieces.
These two belt recipes below are the best recipes for this part, because it's really easy to get the rank 3 recipes, and they are also the cheapest ones. [Blood of Sargeras] binds when picked up, so you can't buy it but most player usually have a lot of these just laying around.
Rank 1 recipes are sold by Stalriss Dawnrunner at Suramar but only if you completed the quests. (scroll back to the unlocking recipes part, if you still didn't finish the quests)
Rank 2 and 3 of these are sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 250 and 500 Sightless Eye at the Dalaran Sewers. Here is a detailed guide on how to get Sightless Eye. You can get the 750 in about half an hour, or even less.
Alternative recipes if you don't want to use Blood of Sargeras:
14 x [Rank 3 - Dreadleather Bindings] - 1540 x Stonehide Leather
14 x [Rank 3 - Gravenscale Armbands] - 1540 x Stormscale
10 x [Rank 3 - Dreadleather Gloves] - 1150 x Stonehide Leather
10 x [Rank 3 - Gravenscale Grips] - 1150 x Stormscale Rank 2 recipe for every armor is sold by Ranid Glowergold at Dalaran.
Rank 3 recipe locations:
- [Recipe: Gravenscale Armbands] is a world drop at Broken Isle, so you can get this by basically playing a game, doing quests and killing mobs. I'm not sure if it drops from instances.
- [Recipe: Dreadleather Bindings] can be found in the Small Treasure Chest at the end of Withered Army Training scenario. Read this wowhead comment on how to unlock this.
- [Recipe: Dreadleather Gloves] is dropped by Advisor Vandros in The Arcway dungeon.
- [Recipe: Gravenscale Grips] is dropped by Advisor Melandrus in the Court of Stars dungeon.
Darkmoon Faire for free +5 skillpoints
You should check your Calendar in-game to see if the Darkmoon Faire is open, the event starts at 00:01 on the Sunday before the 1st Monday of each month.
You can gain +5 skill points by completing a single quest (use it at 795). Click here to read more about the quests.
I hope you liked this Leatherworking guide, congratulations on reaching 800!