This guide provides an overview of the additions and changes to Tailoring in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth.
Table of contents
- Learning BfA Tailoring
- Leveling Tailoring
- Acquiring Recipes
- Crafting Materials
- Tailoring Perks
- Utility Items
- Crafted Leveling Gear
- Level 120 Armors
New in Patch 8.2
- New cloth: Gilded Seaweave
- New set of ilvl 370 Notorious Combatant cloth armors.
- Gilded Seaweave cloth pants and gloves. (ilvl 410, 425, and 440)
- Saddlechute - New mount equipment that will deploy an emergency parachute when dismounted while high in the air.
Learning BfA Tailoring
The new BfA Tailoring skill is named differently for the two factions, but the name is the only difference between them.
- Horde: You can find Pin'jin the Patient in Dazar'alor at the Terrace of Crafters.
- Alliance: Daniel Brineweaver is located in Boralus at the Tradewinds Market.
If you are having trouble finding the trainers, you can walk up to a guard in Dazar'alor or Boralus then ask where the Tailoring trainer is. Asking the guard will place a red marker on your map at the trainer's location.
Professions skills are split between expansions now, and you'll have a separate skill bar for each expansion. This means you can level the new Battle for Azeroth skill tier without putting any point into any of the previous expansions tiers. You don't have to level Tailoring with older materials to be able to craft the new BfA items. The new Battle for Azeroth Tailoring has a maximum of 175 skill points. You can read more about this in my BfA Profession overview.
Every BfA recipe will require different Tailoring skill levels, so it's very different from what we had in Legion where you could craft most high-level items with Tailoring skill 1. You will have to level your BfA Tailoring skill up if you want to craft high-level items.
Check out my BfA Tailoring leveling guide, if you are looking for an in-depth leveling guide with exact numbers and reagents needed.
Most recipes still have ranks just like in Legion, but there are no profession quests for crafting profession in BfA, you will learn most rank 1 recipes from your trainer. They are gated by profession skill, so you have to level your Tailoring up to get every recipe.
You can buy most rank 2 and rank 3 recipes with Mark of Honor, and you can buy the rest from reputation vendors.
- Rank 1: Allows you to craft the item.
- Rank 2: Reduces the materials required to craft an item.
- Rank 3: Greatly reduces the materials required to craft an item.
Tools of the Trade
If you level your character to level 120 and your Battle for Azeroth Tailoring to 150, then you can unlock a special questline to craft Synchronous Thread. This item lets you gather more cloth from mobs and you can interact with Time Rifts all around Zandalar and Kul Tiras. After closing a rift outdoors, you'll get a Chronal Cache of Cloth. This can yield cloths from any expansion, including rare BoP cloth.
The questline will take you through the process of creating your tool and give you some backstory on where the recipe comes from. Most of the quests are really straightforward and easy, so I'll skip explaining each quest. Just follow your quest log and check the markers on your map.
To get started on your profession quest line, speak with your profession trainer Pin'jin the Patient (Horde) in Dazar'alor or Daniel Brineweaver (Alliance) in Boralus. If you are having trouble finding the trainers, you can walk up to a guard in Dazar'alor or Boralus then ask where the Tailoring trainer is. Asking the guard will place a red marker on your map at the trainer's location.
After you complete the quest chain, you will get the Recipe: Synchronous Thread recipe. To craft this item, you need:
- 10 x Expulsom
- 75 x Tidespray Linen
- 75 x Nylon Thread
- 1 x Essence of the Sands - Drops from Avatar of Sethraliss in Temple of Sethraliss dungeon (any difficulty)
- 1 x Essence of the Depths - Drops from Viq'Goth in Siege of Boralus dungeon (any difficulty)
- 1 x Essence of the Regal Loa - Drops from Rezan in Atal'Dazar dungeon (any difficulty)
- 1 x Essence of the Troll Dynasty - Drops from King Dazar in Kings' Rest dungeon (any difficulty)
- Discreet Spellthread - Reduce the amount of threat you generate with attacks and spells.
- Feathery Spellthread - Reduce fall damage.
- Resilient Spellthread - Prevents from being dazed while in Kul Tiras or Zandalar.
You can craft various high-level armors, and all of them are upgradeable 2 times. You will need to craft the lower item level armor to get the recipe for the higher item level ones.
IMPORTANT: If you use the Scrapper I talk about in my Expulsom Farming Guide, you can get every soulbound material back when you scrap these armors. (Tidalcore, Breath of Bwonsamdi, Expulsom)
- Tidespray Linen - Basic cloth dropped by most humanoids.
- Deep Sea Satin - Rare cloth.
- Embroidered Deep Sea Satin - Created by tailors with Embroidered Deep Sea Satin.
There are also 5 soulbound crafting materials:
Expulsom is obtained primarily from scrapping armors and weapons using the Scrap-o-Matic 1000 (Alliance), or the Shred-Master Mk1 (Horde). These tools work like disenchanting. You can break down any gear obtained that is from the Battle for Azeroth expansion, including dungeon/raid drops, quest rewards, world drops, and crafted gear. You can read about this in more detail if you visit my Expulsom Farming Guide.
Tidalcore is a guaranteed drop from the last boss in a Mythic dungeons and from the chest at the end of any level Mythic Plus Dungeon. They can also drop from the last boss of a heroic dungeon. However, this is not a guaranteed drop.
Breath of Bwonsamdi drops from bosses in the new raid Battle for Dazar'alor and is used for crafting epic 400 and 415 item Alchemy trinkets. (1 from each LFR wing, 1 from a Normal boss, 10 from a Heroic boss, 20 from a Mythic boss)
Sanguicell drops from raid bosses in Uldir. (1 from each LFR wing, 1 from a Normal boss, 10 from a Heroic boss, 20 from a Mythic boss)
Hydrocore used to drop in Mythic dungeons, but it no longers drops since path 8.1, and you can only get it by using Transmutes.
Two new bags for Tailors, a 30 slot bag and a 32 slot bag.
|Item||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Deep Sea Bag||BfA Tailoring 50||BfA Tailoring 85||
Horde: Sold by Hoarder Jena in Vol'dun. Requires Revered with Voldunai faction.Alliance: Sold by Quartermaster Alcorn in Drustvar. Requires Revered reputation with Order of Embers faction.
|Embroidered Deep Sea Bag||Random drop from any mob in the new BfA zones.||Revered with Tortollan Seekers.||Dropped by Zul in Uldir.|
Tailors can now create three types of Battle Flags which give a benefit to you and your party. They are not usable while in Raids, Dungeons, Rated Battlegrounds or Arenas, so it's mostly for world PvP.
You can get the rank 1 and rank 2 recipes from your trainer, and rank 3 comes from World Quests.
- Battle Flag: Phalanx Defense - Decreases damage taken by 15% for all allies within 15 yards of its location. Lasts 30 sec.
- Battle Flag: Rallying Swiftness - Increase you and your party's mounted speed within 10 yards by 15% for 15 sec.
- Battle Flag: Spirit of Freedom - Decreases the amount of time one is affected by crowd control effects for all allies within 15 yards of its location. Lasts 30 sec.
Other Utility items:
- Rough-hooked Tidespray Linen - gives your champions a chance to bring back cloths from successful missions.
- Tidespray Linen Bandage - Heals 23276 damage over 8 sec.
- Deep Sea Bandage - Heals 36577 damage over 8 sec.
- Tidespray Linen Net - Slows a target up to 35 yards away by 75% in a net for 5 sec. (1 Min Cooldown)
- Hooked Deep Sea Net - Roots a target up to 35 away yards in a net for 3 sec. (1 Min Cooldown)
Crafted Leveling Gear
The Tidespray Linen armor sets are the new uncommon (green) quality BfA cloth leveling gear. All of these armors are ilvl 225, but there is a chance that they roll up to ilvl 233 and rare (blue) quality. They require level 111, so you can't equip them right away.
You can learn all of these items from your Tailoring trainers, and they only have one rank, so there is no reduced material cost.
|Tidespray Linen Bracers||10 x Tidespray Linen||1|
|Tidespray Linen Belt||13 x Tidespray Linen||1|
|Tidespray Linen Mittens||13 x Tidespray Linen||1|
|Tidespray Linen Sandals||13 x Tidespray Linen||1|
|Tidespray Linen Pants||17 x Tidespray Linen||1|
|Tidespray Linen Cloak||13 x Tidespray Linen||25|
|Tidespray Linen Hood||16 x Tidespray Linen||25|
|Tidespray Linen Spaulders||13 x Tidespray Linen||25|
|Tidespray Linen Robe||16 x Tidespray Linen||25|
Level 120 Armors
The Sinister Combatant's armor set is a new purple (epic) quality BfA cloth armor set. All of these armors are ilvl 340, and they all require level 120 to equip.
|Recipe||Skill||Rank 2 and 3 recipe|
|Sinister Combatant's Satin Belt||115|
|Sinister Combatant's Satin Boots||115|
|Sinister Combatant's Satin Bracers||115|
|Sinister Combatant's Satin Cloak||115|
|Sinister Combatant's Satin Mittens||115|
|Sinister Combatant's Satin Pants||115|