Tailoring uses cloths as main materials, but you don't need any gathering profession to gather cloths, so Tailoring can be combined with any gathering profession. One other popular choice is Enchanting because you can craft a bunch of cloths, disenchant them, and use the dusts and essences to level your enchanting. You will need thousands of cloths to level Tailoring, and it will cost a lot of gold to buy everything.
I recommend using Zygor's 1-60 Leveling Guide if you are still leveling your character or you just started a new alt. The guide is in a small window on your main screen in-game. All the detail that you need to complete the quests are included. You’ll never have to switch back to a website, or even the in-game main map to see where you have to go or what’s next. And if you are low on gold, I recommend trying this Gold Making Guide, it can help you to make a lot of gold.
Learning Legion Tailoring
First, visit your Tailoring trainer Tanithria at Dalaran. Just walk up to a guard in the city, you can ask them where the Tailoring trainer is located.
Most Tailoring recipes are unlocked by doing quests for your profession trainer Tanithria.
You should get to level 45 and finish every Tailoring quest before you continue this guide.
There are 38 Tailoring quests in total, they are pretty straightforward, so I will not write down the details of every quest. Some of the quests lead you to dungeons, but you can finish every quest easily in 1-2 days if you start them at 50. Otherwise, you will have to wait because later quests have level requirements.
The most important quest is The Queen's Grace Loom (around the 30th quest in the chain). After you finish this quest, you will get two rewards: [Imbued Silkweave Bracers], and [Imbued Silkweave]. You will also unlock quests and vendors for the rest of the Imbued Silkweave set. You will use these armors for leveling between 90-100.
Most Legion recipes now have 3 ranks. Higher rank recipes allow you to craft an item for fewer materials, and they stay orange for a lot longer (grants guaranteed skill-ups). Therefore, you should only use rank 3 recipes when you can.
Rank 3 recipes come from different sources like Vendors, World Quests, Reputation, dungeon drops, and even rated battleground win.
If you hover over the little stars in your spellbook, you can see the source of the next rank for the selected recipe.
Unlocking World Quests
If your first character has already completed this, you don't need to grind rep on your alts.
After you unlocked the quests, you also have to level your Legion Tailoring to at least 25 to unlock the profession's World quests.
Leveling Legion Tailoring
1 - 30
Check out my Shal'dorei Silk farming guide if you want to farm the cloths.
55 x [Silkweave Bandage] - 55 Shal'dorei Silk
30 - 54
You will get the rank 1 recipes by simply completing the tailoring quest chain mentioned above.
NOTE: If you see any of the rank 3 recipe world quests for any of the Silkweave armors, you can complete that quest and make that armor instead of the ones I recommend below. I only recommend these because they are not tied to world quests, and you can get them anytime compared to the world quest where it's random when they show up on your map.
You can buy the [Sharp Spritethorn] and the [Runic Catgut] from Lalla Brightweave near your Tailoring trainer at Dalaran. (She will only sell Sharp Spritethorn after you complete A Needle Need and Meticulous Precision quests in the Legion tailoring quest chain)
Rank 2 recipe locations
- You will get the rank 2 Silkweave Pantaloon recipe by completing the tailoring quest chain, or you can buy the [Pattern: Silkweave Pantaloons] from Lalla Brightweave, but there is no need for that since you will have to complete the tailoring quest anyway.
- [Pattern: Silkweave Cinch rank 2] - is sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 250 [Sightless Eye] at the Dalaran Sewers. Check out my Sightless Eye farming guide, and you can get the 250 in about 10-15 minutes.
Rank 3 recipe locations
- [Pattern: Silkweave Pantaloons] requires Honored reputation with Court of Farondis. (just do quests at Azsuna to get the reputation). The recipe is sold by Veridis Fallon at Azsuna.
- [Pattern: Silkweave Cinch Rank 3] - is sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 500 [Sightless Eye] at the Dalaran Sewers.
54 - 60
Keep these. You will use all of them later.
60 - 90
55 x [Silkweave Splint] - 275 x Shal'dorei Silk, 55 x Leystone Ore
90 - 100
You need to get a rank 2, and a rank 3 recipe from one of the Imbued Silkweave armor pieces.
I recommend the belt because it's really easy to get the rank 3 recipe. Get the rank 3 recipe before you start crafting these!
10 x [Rank 3 - Imbued Silkweave Cinch] - 60 x Imbued Silkweave, 20 Blood of Sargeras
Rank 1 recipes
- [Pattern: Imbued Silkweave Cinch] - sold by Leyweaver Erenyi at Val'sharah.
- [Pattern: Imbued Silkweave Slippers] - sold by Leyweaver Yaphisteia at Highmountain.
Rank 2 recipes
Rank 2 recipes are sold by Lalla Brightweave at Dalaran. Except for the [Pattern: Imbued Silkweave Cinch], which is sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 250 [Sightless Eye] at the Dalaran Sewers. Check out my Sightless Eye farming guide, and you can get the 250 in about 10-15 minutes.
Rank 3 recipes
- [Pattern: Imbued Silkweave Cinch] - sold by Strap Bucklebolt for 500 [Sightless Eye] at the Dalaran Sewers.
- [Pattern: Imbued Silkweave Slippers] - The Nightfallen - Exalted - Sold by First Arcanist Thalyssra at Suramar.
I hope you liked this Legion Tailoring leveling guide, congratulations on reaching 100!